RAGGING IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE
Prevention and Prohibition of Ragging
Anti Ragging Initiatives | Anti Ragging Committee
Ragging is totally prohibited in the campus of Acropolis Faculty of Management and Research, Indore and also in its Group Institutes. Anyone found guilty of ragging and / or abetting ragging whether actively or passively, or being a part of conspiracy to promote ragging, is liable to be punished in accordance with UGC Regulations 2009 as well as under the provisions of any penal law for the time being in force.
In view of the directions of the Hon’ble Supreme Court in SLP No. 24295 of 2006 dated 16-05-2007 and in Civil Appeal number 887 of 2009, dated 08-05-2009 to prohibit, prevent and eliminate the scourge of ragging including any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student, or indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student or asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student, with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher or any other student, in all higher education institutions in the country, and thereby, to provide for the healthy development, physically and psychologically, of all students, the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and University Grants Commission (UGC) bring forth appropriate Regulations.
What is Ragging?
As per Regulations on curbing the menace of Ragging in Higher Educational Institutions, 2009, Ragging constitutes one or more of any of following acts:
- Any conduct by any student whether by words spoken or written or by act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student
- Indulging in rowdy or indiscipline activities by any student which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student
- Asking any student to do any act which he/she will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student
- Any act by senior student that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of any other student or a fresher
- Exploiting the service of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students
- Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students
- Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts/ gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person
- Any act or abuse by spoken words, email, post, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from activity or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student
- Any act that affects the mental health and self- confidence of a fresher or any other student with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher or any other student.
In the event of ragging any one or more of the following punishments may be given:
- Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges.
- Withholding/withdrawing scholarship/fellowship and other benefits.
- Debarring from appearing in any test/examination or other evaluation process.
- Withholding results.
- Debarring from representing the University/Institution in any regional, national or international meet, tournament, youth festival etc.
- Suspension/Expulsion from the hostel.
- Cancellation of admission.
- Rustication from the Institution for period ranging from one to four semesters.
- Expulsion from the University/Institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution for a specified period.
Provided that where the persons committing or abetting the act of ragging are not identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment.
Apart from inviting any disciplinary action, the erring student may also be subjected to face any legal action as prescribed under the UGC Regulations/by the Concerned Authority.
Acropolis Institute of Technology and Research, Indore ensures that a congenial and welcoming environment is given to the freshers.
All the students of the Institute are hereby informed that the Anti Ragging Committee as constituted is given below. Students are required to report to the committee members, in case of any related issues under the ragging activities.
|Prof Prachi Sharma||9827332072|
|Prof Naman Shrivastava||8878651383|
In college routine and in the buses, all the faculty members also must be watchful to check ragging and ensure that it is not even initiated.